Saturday, October 8, 2011

Eeek! I did it again...

Contests make me nervous.
But I enter them anyway -- mainly because I want reader feedback and the interaction with other writers, and I figure the experience of putting my work out there in the real world (as opposed to confining it in a computer desktop folder) will help me get over my innate shyness. That's the thing about being a writer -- the process itself is both solitary and public... maybe the quintessential oxymoron.
So, this week you'll find me lurking at Passionate Reads, which is hosting its Second Annual Passionate Pitch contest.
Here's the deal: Brave writing souls, like myself, post a back-of-the-book blurb (or something similar to that, 250 words or less) on the site. This is something I struggle with because it seems impossible to boil an entire novella or novel down to a few sentences or paragraphs; however, if you know your story, your characters and your conflict inside and out, then the blurb shouldn't be too difficult to nail down. If you're struggling with things like character motivation, internal and external conflict, etc., then writing that blurb can really help you hone in on the essence of your story.
The public is allowed to vote through the end of the day Oct. 11.
There are about thirty entries, and while all are romance, of course, subgenres vary.
If you get a chance, then take a look at the entries. There are some really awesome works there.
And while I would appreciate your vote, I only want it if you think my blurb is working. I'd appreciate any and all feedback, which you can leave in a comment here -- if you're so inclined.
Click here to read the entries and to cast your votes.
Here's to contests, friends and honest opinions... without them, I wouldn't even be writing.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tina,

    I had to pop over to congratulate you on making it through to the next round :-) Best of luck as you move forward!

    Robyn/Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contests are great for getting feedback. It takes a lot of courage to enter them, and I agree, they are worth it! Congrats, and I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robyn/Chelsea:
    Thanks so much. I really loved your entry. I remember reading the first chapter during NV last year and loving it. Is it finished? Would love to know what happens! ; )
    Thank you, again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Jill.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to visit and comment.
    I hope I *see* you again soon! : )

    ReplyDelete